The view is one of our most important senses, which makes us autonomous, which gives us a rapid perception of the reality that surrounds us.
Eye care is therefore essential and helping us prevent degeneration and disease with simple vitamins to be introduced with nutrition or with supplements is really simple.
Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin and in nature it is found in the form of retinol, or as a vegetable provitamine in the form of carotenoids, which are transformed in the liver into vitamin A.
Vitamin A is contained in animal liver meat, cod liver oil, eggs and dairy products. Carotenoids are contained in orange-yellow fruits and vegetables such as apricots, carrots, peppers, but also in blueberries and berries and in green leafy vegetables such as lettuce, asparagus and broccoli.
Vitamin A is essential for sight, for cellular differentiation, for the immune system, for the well-being of the skin, for the growth of teeth and bones.
- Deficiency : in case of Vitamin A deficiency, skin problems can occur, easy exposure to infections and more or less severe vision disorders, from night vision difficulties to dryness of the cornea and conjunctiva.
- Overdose : pay attention to excess vitamin A because it may need to be supplemented but never higher than our liver can synthesize.
- The correct daily dosage varies according to age : 0.4 mg -0.5 mg for children between 6 and 10 years, for boys and women 0.6 mg and for men 0.7 mg.
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin, essential for the eyes for its antioxidant properties that counteract the degenerative effects of free radicals on sight, such as cataracts and glaucoma, corneal ulcers.
We can find vitamin C in fresh fruit and raw or in any case little cooked vegetables such as: grapes, currants, strawberries, kiwi, citrus fruits, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, parsley.
Vitamin C contributes to the absorption of iron and the production of red blood cells, and is indispensable for the synthesis of collagen, a fundamental substance for the well-being of blood vessels, cartilages, joints and bones.
- Deficiency : in the event of vitamin C deficiency, dermatological problems, gum weakness, anemia, epistaxis may occur.
- Overdose : excesses of vitamin C can cause gastritis and kidney stones, but generally since vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin it is synthesized very quickly so that it is difficult to remain in our body and we have to replenish it very often.
- The daily dosage is around 60 mg for adult subjects.
How to give wellness to the eyes
Vitamin E is liposoluble in nature and presents sub-forms, the most important being alpha-tocopherol . Like vitamin C, vitamin E is also essential for its antioxidant properties; it also causes degeneration of ocular tissues such as senile maculopathies, strabismus, atony of the ocular musculature.
We can find good doses of vitamin E in foods such as wheat germ oil, cereals, almonds, hazelnuts, olives, corn oil.
Vitamin E is deteriorated by freezing and too much heat, so it is good to pay attention to the type of storage of the foods that contain it.
- Deficiency : in the case of vitamin E deficiency, muscle weakness, asthenia and irritability may occur.
- Overdose : at high doses of vitamin E hemorrhagic manifestations are possible, and platelet anticoagulation phenomena, attention therefore for those who take antiplatelet drugs, always ask for medical advice.
- The recommended daily dosage is 8 mg per day for adult subjects.
Discover how to prepare blueberry herbal tea for eye health
We protect the eyes with the vitamin B complex
The B vitamins represent an important protection for our whole body, especially vitamins B2, B6, B12, B9 perform a preventive action against macular degeneration.
A correct intake of B group vitamins comes from nutrition: meat, eggs, liver, legumes, spinach. Deficiencies of B vitamins could cause burning eyes, watery eyes, itching.
We therefore do not underestimate the vitamin deficiency in general, because many of our organs work properly with the correct dietary intake and in the case of special dietary regimes let us remember vicarre with specific supplements.