Water retention affects about 30% of women. The disorder consists of the accumulation of fluids in the body, which are deposited especially in some particular areas, namely abdomen, buttocks and legs, with consequent swelling and the appearance of orange peel skin.
Water retention can be the symptom of an underlying pathology, but in most cases it is due to an unhealthy lifestyle, which includes habits such as cigarette smoking, excessive consumption of alcohol and coffee, the habit of wearing too high heels and too tight clothing, a sedentary lifestyle, poor physical activity and - obviously - an incorrect diet .
The rules of the diet against water retention
The main rules of the diet against water retention are:
- Drink at least two liters of water a day;
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine and sugary drinks;
- Do not exceed with salt, sugar and fat;
- Adopt a diet rich in fiber ; regularity of the intestine is important to combat water retention; constipation, in fact, favors the disorder;
- Consume lots of fruits and vegetables, especially those rich in vitamin C.
Also try orange to fight orange peel skin
Foods against water retention
Here are some foods that can help in the diet against water retention . Obviously this is only a general advice, purely for informational purposes, which cannot in any way replace the advice of a doctor or a nutrition specialist .
- Barley : it's perfect for replacing coffee in the morning. Better not to sweeten it; at the most add a dash of low-fat milk. Replacing coffee with barley avoids the negative effects of caffeine on water retention.
- Extra virgin olive oil: a drop of olive oil is also indicated in low-calorie and low-fat diets; you should not overdo it with the quantity, but olive oil remains the most suitable fat dressing when you want to fight water retention.
- Pineapple : thanks to its diuretic and detoxifying properties, pineapple is a very useful fruit in the diet against water retention. Contains potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, and is available on the market throughout the year. Excellent for breakfast and for a light and sweet snack.
- Cherries : thanks to their strong diuretic properties, cherries are excellent for helping the body to get rid of toxins . We must not exceed with the quantity because they are rather sugary fruits, but they can certainly constitute a delicious snack even in case of water retention.
- Melon : in the diet against water retention it cannot, finally, miss the melon. It has a diuretic and laxative action and therefore acts positively also on the intestine. It is rich in carotene and vitamin C, compared to a rather limited caloric intake.